By the age of 85, nearly half of adults will have developed osteoarthritis. The primary cause? Obesity. For this reason and others, staying healthy and fit is critical. Whether to prevent diseases like osteoarthritis or to help prevent further pain caused by osteoarthritis, exercise is important. And protecting your knees during exercise is just as important.
According to U.S. News and World Report, here are 8 ways to protect your knees during exercise.
- Lose some weight. Extra weight means extra pressure on your knees — three to five times as much as your body weight, in fact. Extra weight may accelerate osteoarthritis.
- Work all your muscles. Be sure to also stretch and strengthen quads, hamstrings, and hip abductors and adductors.
- Choose the right sports. Choose knee-friendly activities (low impact and no twisting) like rowing, cross-country skiing, and cycling.
- Ice. This is an easy way to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Avoid rotation of hips and knees. Things like jumping and slowing down from a run, or playing basketball or soccer, are much more likely to result in an ACL injury.
- Avoid up and downs. Running on hills is best to avoid if you’re having knee troubles.
- Be sure to cross-train. Repeating the same activities can lead to overstrain and overuse, and it’s a straight shot from there to knee injuries. Vary your activities and give your knees a break.
- Use braces if necessary. They may not prevent injuries, but if you have an old injury, or are trying to prevent re-injuring yourself, a brace may help.
Signs and Symptoms of a Problem
How do you know when your knee pain has become a problem? Here are the signs and symptoms to look out for, according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Swelling and stiffness
- Redness and warmth to the touch
- Weakness or instability
- Popping or crunching noises
- Inability to fully straighten the knee
These are just signs of knee pain that may or may not require medical attention. But you should see a doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Can’t bear weight on your knee, or feeling as if your knee is unstable
- Marked or noticeable knee swelling
- Cannot fully extend or flex your knee
- Notice an obvious deformity in your leg or knee
- Have a fever that occurs in addition to redness, pain and swelling in your knee
- Have severe knee pain that is associated with an injury
Supplements for Joint and Knee Support
Whether it’s for arthritis, for general knee pain, or for exercise-induced knee pain, many people use supplements to support joint and knee health. 11 common vitamins or supplements used for joint pain and arthritis include:
- SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine)
- Vitamin D
- Methylsulfonlymethane (MSM)
- Boswellia Serrate (Indian frankincense)
- Capsaicin (Capsicum frutescens)
- Tumeric/Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
- Avocado-soybean Unsaponifiables (ASU)
- Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa)
- Fish Oil (Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA)
- Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Similarly, preliminary studies have shown that taking glucosamine hydrochloride (glucosamine) along with sodium chondroitin sulfate (chondroitin sulfate) provides statistically significant pain relief for patients with knee osteoarthritis in comparison to placebo.
If you use – or want to use – supplements to help support joint, muscle, and knee help, the Blender Bottle can help. Blender Bottle is the best-selling shaker bottle on the market since 2004, using patented technology to help make smooth, delicious shakes every time.
Coming in a variety of colors, you can choose between the Blender Bottle and the Sportmixer Blender Bottle (17 oz. and 20 oz. sizes); both contain the patented BlenderBall wire whisk to mix up your favorite protein shakes, energy drinks, supplements, or any powdered drink.
Physician-recommended, Boiron’s mission is to promote the use of homeopathy as a more compassionate, ecological, and comprehensive approach to medicine. If you’re experiencing knee or muscle pain, incorporating some of Boiron’s products into your knee-health routine can help ease discomfort.
Boiron’s Arnica Montana 6C provides tables that lend homeopathic support for relieving muscle pain and stiffness, swelling from injuries, and discoloration from bruising.
ArniCare Cream from Boiron is a homeopathic topical pain relief medicine that is great for muscle pain in the knees, leg, neck, shoulder, and back. And ArniCare Arthritis Tablets are targeted specifically for arthritis pain relief support, including joint pain and rheumatic pain relief.
Designs for Health
Since 1989, Designs for Health has been the health care professional’s trusted source for research-backed nutritional products of superior quality.
Among other things, Designs for Health has a line of products designed to support musculoskeletal health: from bone to joint to muscle support. Designs for Health accomplishes this with products like ArthroSoothe, Inflammatone, and Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM capsules, Whole Body Collagen, and much more.
How do you protect your knees and prevent pain?